Thursday, March 4, 2010

We have an infestation!!



Yep, you heard right, an infestation.... of rats!!! I'm not completely sure how it happened. I guess you could say it was my fault. It all started when I suggested that we go to a pet store on Saturday and let Jax look at all the animals. We were bored and it seemed like a fun thing to do. Little did I know that my husband had been thinking lately about how much he loved his pet rat growing up. And how much fun it would be to have one again. So we went to the pet store, held some rats, and I had to talk Braeden out of buying a rat right then and there. But I might as well have let him get it, come Monday evening we had two rats anyways! Here are some of the things I have learned about rats over the past few days:
  • Rats can be pretty darn cute
  • Rats are the least likely rodent to bite (they do love to nibble, but Jax just thinks it tickles when they nibble on his fingers)
  • Rats aren't very smelly, or they would be finding a new home by now :) They are supposed to be the cleanest rodent
  • They are very curious and like to look around, but don't run away from you
  • They can learn their name and will come when called
  • You can pick them up by their tail and it doesn't hurt them! Which is good since Jax is fascinated with their tails :)
  • They are kinda like dogs in that when they get to know you they are very loving.
  • They can be litter box trained (a feat we will try to attempt next week) which is supposed to all but eliminate any smell
  • Rats do better in pairs. They are more friendly, happy, and less likely to get sick when they have a friend.
  • And last, but not least, rats don't eat the shells of sunflower seeds! Our rats love them, but they will shell the sunflower seed before they eat it, so funny to watch!
So there you have it, all my newfound knowledge about rats. We have named ours Jackie and Jill (both females). I really can't believe we own rats, but I guess I'll just go with it! Jaxon and Braeden absolutely love them. Jaxon will sit for 30 minutes at a time and watch them and let them nibble on his fingers. First thing in the morning he wants to go over and say good morning to the rats. He will stand their and say "hi" until they wake up and come nibble on his fingers. With that said, I apologize to my mother, I promise I will de-rat and hide them in a closet if you ever want to come visit! The same goes for anyone else who is allergic! And I will succumb to the fact that we may actually be a pet family. Not something I ever thought would happen, but I think I am okay with it.

1 comments:

Brittany Hall March 5, 2010 at 6:25 AM  

Wow, first a snake, now rats. You and your odd pets. :)